Improving Land Governance for More Equitable Fish Farm Development in Myanmar
Ben Belton. 2017. Improving Land Governance for More Equitable Fish Farm Development in Myanmar. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Brief 33. East Lansing: Michigan State University
• Fish farming is a high value activity in comparison with paddy cultivation.
• Large fish farms in Myanmar have benefited from policy support.
• Growth of small and medium fish farms has been severely curtailed by land use restrictions.
• Small and medium scale fish farms create greater positive impacts in the rural economy than large farms.
• Redesignate aquaculture as a form of agriculture, in line with the definition of “agricultural land” found in the National Land Use Policy.
• Grant smallholders the freedom to farm in the manner of their choosing on land for which they have use rights.