FSG Quarterly Updates - October 1, 2017–January 31, 2018
The Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy is one of the major projects of the MSU Food Security Group. Below are the publications issued from this research work for the period of October 1, 2017–January 31, 2018. Other FSG publications for this period are available here. Outreach presentations are available here.
FSP POLICY RESEARCH BRIEFS
- The Transformation of Value Chains in Africa: Evidence from the First Large Survey of Maize Traders . Policy Research Brief 56. Saweda Liverpool-Tasie, Thomas Reardon, Awa Sanou, Wale Ogunleye, Iredele Ogunbayo, Bolarin T. Omonona. January 2018
- Evaluation du processus d’élaboration des politiques agricoles et de sécurité alimentaire par les intervenants au Mali. Policy Research Brief 55 - FR. Abdramane Traoré, Amadou Samaké, Ousmane Sanogo, Steven Haggblade et Mywish Maredia. December 2017
- Intrahousehold Productivity Differentials and Land Quality in the Sudanian Savanna of Mali . Policy Research Brief 54. Melinda Smale, Veronique Theriault, Hamza Haider, and Alpha Kergna. November 2017
- The Scope and Scale of Processed Food Retailing in Urban Mali . Policy Research Brief 53. Veronique Theriault, Ryan Vroegindewey, Amidou Assima, and Naman Keita. November 2017
- Défis réglementaires en Afrique de l’Ouest: Etablir des réglementations régionales sur les pesticides en période de croissance rapide du marché. Policy Research Brief 52 - FR. Amadou Diarra et Steven Haggblade. Novembre 2017
- Regulatory Challenges in West Africa: Instituting Regional Pesticide Regulations during a Period of Rapid Market Growth. Policy Research Brief 52 - EN. Amadou Diarra and Steven Haggblade. November 2017
- Fertilizer Subsidy Impact on Sorghum and Maize Productivity in the Sudanian Savanna of Mali . Policy Research Brief 51. Veronique Theriault, Melinda Smale, and Amidou Assima, November 2017
- Trends in West African Pesticide Markets . Policy Research Brief 49. Steven Haggblade and Amadou Diarra, October 2017
- Does Sustainable Intensification of Maize Production Enhance Child Nutrition? Evidence from Rural Tanzania. Policy Research Brief 48. Jongwoo Kim, Nicole M. Mason, and Sieglinde Snapp. October 2017
- The Role of the Locations of Public Sector Varietal Development Activities on Agricultural Productivity. Policy Research Brief 47. Hiroyuki Takeshima and Abdullahi Mohammed Nasir, October 2017
FSP RESEARCH PAPERS
- Yield Response of Dryland Cereals in Mali to Fertilizer: Insights from Household Survey Data . Research Paper 92. Hamza Haider, Melinda Smale and Véronique Thériault. January 2018
- The Transformation of Value Chains in Africa: Evidence from the First Large Survey of Maize Traders in Nigeria. Research Paper 91. Saweda Liverpool-Tasie, Thomas Reardon, Awa Sanou, Wale Ogunleye, Iredele Ogunbayo, Bolarin T. Omonona. January 2018
- Food Safety in the Rapid Transformation of Food Systems in Africa: Aflatoxins along the Maize Value . Research Paper 90. Oluwatoyin Ademola, Saweda Liverpool-Tasie and Adewale Obadina. December 2017
- Assessment of the Quality of Agriculture and Food Security Policy Processes and Institutional Architecture in Tanzania: Results of the 2016 Stakeholder Survey. Research Paper 89. Edith Lazaro and Mywish K. Maredia. December 2017
- Prospects for the Sectoral Transformation of the Rural Economy in Tanzania: A Review of the Evidence. Research Paper 88. Todd Benson, Josee Randriamamonjy, Peixun Fang, David Nyange, James Thurlow, and Xinshen Diao, December 2017
- Can Input Subsidy Programs Contribute to Climate Smart Agriculture? Research Paper 87. T.S. Jayne, Nicholas J. Sitko, and Nicole M. Mason. November 2017
- Macroeconomic Factor Influence on Agricultural Program Sustainability in Kaduna State, Nigeria . Research Paper 86. Patrick L. Hatzenbuehler and George Mavrotas. November 2017
- Constraints for Small-scale Private Irrigation Systems in the North Central Zone of Nigeria . Research Paper 85. Hiroyuki Takeshima and Hyacinth Edeh. November 2017
- Subnational Variation in Policy Implementation: The Case of Nigerian Land Governance Reform . Research Paper 84. Danielle Resnick and Austen Okumo. November 2017
- Study of the Determinants of Chronic Malnutrition in Northern Nigeria: Quantitative evidence from the Nigeria Demographic and Health Surveys. Research Paper 83. Mulubrhan Amare, Todd Benson, Olusegun Fadare, and Motunrayo Oyeyemi. November 2017
- Study of the Determinants of Chronic Malnutrition in Northern Nigeria: Qualitative Evidence from Qualitative Evidence from Kebbi and Bauchi States. Research Paper 82. Todd Benson, Mulubrhan Amare, Motunrayo Oyeyemi, and Olusegun Fadare. November 2017
- Does Sustainable Intensification of Maize Production Enhance Child Nutrition? Evidence from Rural Tanzania. Research Paper 80. Jongwoo Kim, Nicole M. Mason, and Sieglinde Snapp. October 2017
- Factor Market Activity and the Inverse Farm Size-Productivity Relationship in Tanzania. Research Paper 79. Ayala Wineman and Thomas S. Jayne. October 2017
- Lenis Saweda O. Liverpool-Tasie, Thomas Jayne, Milu Muyanga, and Awa Sanou. 2017. Are African Farmers Experiencing Improved Incentives to Use Fertilizer? Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 78. East Lansing: Michigan State University.
- Farmland Concentration and Rural Income Growth: Evidence from Tanzania. Research Paper 77. Jordan Chamberlin and T. S. Jayne. October 2017
- Résultats de l’Enquête de Base de l’Evaluation du Processus de l’Elaboration des Politiques Agricoles et de Sécurité Alimentaire par les Intervenants au Mali. Research Paper 76 - FR. Abdramane Traoré, Amadou Samaké, Ousmane Sanogo, Steven Haggblade and Mywish Maredia. Octobre 2017
- A Stakeholder Assessment of Agricultural Policy Processes in Mali: Results of a Baseline Survey. Research Paper 76 - EN. Abdramane Traoré, Amadou Samaké, Ousmane Sanogo, Steven Haggblade and Mywish Maredia. October 2017
- Institutional Architecture and Quality of Agriculture and Food Security Processes in Zambia. Research Paper 75. Hambulo Ngoma, Nicholas J Sitko, Thomas Jayne, Antony Chapoto, and Mywish Maredia. October 2017
- Scrutinizing the Status Quo: Rural Transformation and Land Tenure Security in Nigeria. Research Paper 73. Hosaena Ghebru and Fikirte Girmachew. October 2017
- The Role of the Locations of Public Sector Varietal Development Activities on Agricultural Productivity. Research Paper 72. Hiroyuki Takeshima and Abdullahi Mohammed Nasir. October 2017
FSP PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
- Rapid transformation of Food Systems in Developing Regions: Highlighting the role of agricultural research & innovations. Thomas Reardon, Ruben Echeverria, Julio Berdegué, Bart Minten, Saweda Liverpool-Tasie, David Tschirley, David Zilberman. 2018. Rapid transformation of Food Systems in Developing Regions: Highlighting the role of agricultural research & innovations. Agricultural Systems, accepted January 2018.
- Farm Family Effects of Adopting Improved and Hybrid Sorghum Seed in the Sudan Savanna of West Africa. Smale, M., Assima, A., Kergna, A., Theriault, V., and Weltzien, E. 2018. Farm family effects of adopting improved and hybrid sorghum seed in the Sudan Savanna of West Africa. Food Policy, 74 (January): 162-171.
- Links among innovation, food system transformation, and technology adoption, with implications for food policy: Overview of a Special Issue. Reardon, T., L. Lu, D. Zilberman. 2017. Food Policy. October 27.
ALL FSP PRESENTATIONS ARE AVAILABLE HERE.